Work Camper Program
The Westport South Beach Historical Society depends on volunteer support to keep the doors of the Westport Maritime Museum and Grays Harbor Lighthouse open for visitors. Our Work Camper program requires a time commitment of at least one month and, in exchange for working at our two sites, we provide a full RV hook-up.
Typical Work Camping duties include:
- Collecting admission fees at the museum & lighthouse (manual and computer cash register)
- Greeting visitors, providing information about sites and area
- Giving tours of the lighthouse (climbing 135 stairs multiple times each day required, but one person may be the designated climber)
- Making and recording sales in the gift shop
- Cash handling, daily cash balancing
- Answering telephones/taking messages
- Collecting tickets in the Destruction Island Lens Building
The usual schedule is 4-6 hours per day, and possibly alternating between 3 and 4 days a week. We are open 10 am to 4 pm, 7 days a week, April – September, 12 am to 4 pm Friday through Monday, October – May. Grays Harbor Lighthouse is closed December and January.
There are several RV sites available in the Westport area. We do our best to provide the best sites available but we are unable to guarantee specific sites due to availability and RV size.
If you would like to be considered for an open position, please complete and return our Work Camper Application. Upon review and successful reference checks, we will notify you as soon as possible about available dates. At that time, a Work Camper Agreement will be sent for you to sign and return.